Friday, July 3, 2009

The Beginnings of Infusion Confusion

In the Spring of 2001 I ventured to the lovely seaside town of Sorrento in Italy. Truly one of the most beautiful places I've visited. And that is where I first tasted the sweet nectar called 'limoncello'. A sweet lemon liquor that when sipped on the balcony overlooking the Gulf of Naples makes you experience true bliss. Ok, I was 21...I didn't exactly sip it, but you get the general idea. It was sweet and syrupy but crisp and refreshing. I was in love. In love with Italy, in love with limoncello, in love with seeing the world. Ahhh, good times.



After 3 glorious weeks traveling around Italy, I returned to London and then later returned to the good old USA. But still, memories of that delicious elixir popped into my mind from time to time and I would start to salivate. Wishing to re-capture my Italian experience, I started searching for limoncello here in the States. What I found was either too expensive or it tasted like lemonade mixed with rubbing alcohol. Not exactly reminiscent of my Mediterannean memories. Then I met someone who on a whim had decided to make his own limoncello. And thus an idea and a hobby was born.

However, I procrastinated.

And procrastinated.

Then, last summer Becca introduced me to the glorious cocktail that is a mixture of blueberry vodka, club soda and lime juice. Mmmmmmm. However, blueberry vodka is not the cheapest liquor and it's pretty easy to kick it back. So, I started thinking why not make the darn stuff myself with nice, cheap Russian vodka.


But again, I procrastinated.

Then, something clicked. Something changed. Something made me get off my duff and pick up this hobby I had been thinking about for a couple of years now. And what was this 'something' you ask???

I was broke.

I was broke and it was Christmas and I wanted to make something fun and different for my friends and family. What better gift than homemade limoncello? How awesome is that? So I started reading and researching and then I started my first batch of limoncello.

One slight issue. Do any of you know how long it takes to make limoncello? Not exactly something that infuses overnight (like some of my later libations). So it was not in the stars to give homemade limoncello as Christmas presents, but at least I got started. Expect some yummy sippings come this December though! I've finally got my act together.

And thus began infusion confusion in Seattle.

No comments:

Post a Comment